BATU PRIVACY STATEMENT
The Building and Allied Trades’ Union (BATU) is committed to protecting and securing all of your personal information.
This Privacy statement is designed to ensure you are aware of the information we process about you including your rights in relation to it.
Who we are?
The data controller is BATU, Data Controller, 13 Blessington Street, Dublin 7.
Email: [email protected]
Purpose of Data Collection and Processing
As a trade union we are member focused. To serve the members of the union we collect and process data for purposes including:
- To register you as a BATU member
- To meet the Objects and Rules of BATU
- To contact you about membership and trade union activities
- To represent you in individual and collective issues
- To provide membership services and benefits
- To comply with our legal obligations
Legal basis for processing your data
We rely on various legal bases for processing your personal data which include:
- Performance of our membership contract with you
- Compliance with our legal obligations
- In our legitimate interest
- Where you provide consent
How we share your personal data
We are committed to protecting and securing your personal data and we aim to ensure that all third-party providers are compliant with legislation and do not use your data for their own purposes unless they are controllers in their own right.
We may share your personal data from time to time with trusted third-party providers where required for business, legal and regulatory purposes.
With your consent we may share your personal data from time to time with professional and legal bodies in the interest of representing you.
Retention and deletion
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose(s) for which it was collected, taking into account all legal and contractual obligations. Where possible we will identify the duration for retention and, where this is not possible, we will explain the criteria for determining retention periods.
Once the retention period has concluded we shall safely and securely delete or destroy all personal data.
You have the following rights and entitlements with regard to your personal data held by us:
- To enquire if we hold personal data on you and to access copies of that data
- To request rectification of personal data we hold on you
- To request erasure or restriction of processing of your personal data
- To withdraw consent at any time free of charge where we process your personal data based solely on your consent
- To have a copy of relevant personal data or request it is transferred to another data controller, where it is possible to do so
- To lodge a complaint in respect of processing of your personal data with the Data Protection Commissioners Office
We will aim to meet your requests and requirements relating to your rights, where possible. Requests should be directed in writing to the Data Protection Officer.
Requests under any of your rights will be free of charge where they are reasonable and not excessive. We reserve the right to request clarity in relation to determining the data under request, including to request proof of identity and signed authorisation in the case of third-party requests. Furthermore, we reserve the right to refuse to comply where legal obligations restrict us from doing so and where requests are unreasonable or excessive.
Failure to provide personal data
We collect personal data to ensure we can represent our diverse member base in its entirety and to fulfil our responsibilities to our members within the Rules of the Union. Failure to provide us with the required personal data, on request, may limit our ability to represent you.
We rely on you to ensure the data we hold is accurate and up to date by communicating to us any changes to your personal information. Such updates can be made by contacting [email protected] .
Profiling and automated decision making
We do not use profiling or automated decision making on any of the personal data we hold.
Transmission to countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
We may transfer your personal data to service providers outside the EEA. In such cases, we will ensure the data is carefully managed in accordance with applicable data protection law.
Updates and further processing
We will make changes to this notice from time to time. Any such changes can be viewed on our website at www.BATU.ie
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which it was provided. If we need to use your personal data for alternative purposes, we will notify you and explain our legal basis for doing so.